Bacon pledges more York Park money
Another goal: Premier Jim Bacon has a shot at the uprights at York Park yesterday after he officially opened the latest batch of undercover terraced seating in time for the Rugby World Cup match. PictMr Bacon was at York Park yesterday to open undercover terraced seating that has been completed in time for the Namibia-Romania match on Thursday, October 30.
The $2.5 million redevelopment has increased undercover capacity at the AFL-standard stadium to 10,000 seats.
“The State Government has so far invested $3.8 million into capital works at York Park and last week I announced a further $1.1 million would be spent on a new media and corporate area,” Mr Bacon said.
“This will bring our total investment in upgrades to York Park to $4.9 million and we will continue to invest money at the venue as long as people keep supporting events there.
“More than 11,000 tickets have been sold (for the World Cup match) and I urge Tasmanians to get behind the game so that we get a sell-out crowd at York Park.”
Launceston Mayor Janie Dickenson thanked Mr Bacon and his Government for their commitment to York Park.
“It’s fantastic that the State Government has worked with the council to develop York Park into such an outstanding venue,” she said.
“The new terraces and roofs really add to the atmosphere. The sound is amplified and colours are intensified. (But) the best thing is that our new-and- improved stadium still retains the traditional feel of York Park.”
AFL roster matches at the Inveresk ground attracted more than 17,000 people on average this year – an increase of almost 2000 people on the previous year.
A survey showed that between 17-25 per cent of the crowd comes from interstate.
“The fact that so many people come across in the winter – a tourist down-time – is a great benefit to Launceston but a much wider benefit to the whole State,” Mr Bacon said.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.